Thursday, April 18, 2013

Missed Olympics Vol. 6

Getting Healthy

Scott, John Nunn and Laura - Greece 2004 Olympics

Time For a Plan Of Action

In 2004 when we returned from our trip to Europe and Greece I thought long and hard for several months about what I wanted to do.

 By the end of January 2005 I had to take a serious look at myself.  I was 140 pounds and at 5 foot 4 1/2 inches I was unhealthy, over weight and slow! 

source
It was time to pray.  

I mean really pray, for direction and inspiration as to if I should tackle the goal or re-evaluate.  

I felt a quiet thought come into my mind asking “If you knew you would not fail, what would you do?”  I knew the answer.  I had to change.  

I had to change from the inside out!  What I ate, how I ate, what I thought and what I said to myself and I had to begin training. 
 

Before I even told my husband what my goal was I talked to a dear friend of mine who I knew ran marathons and was a personal trainer.  I told her I needed to get fit.  Very fit.  I did not tell her why and she did not ask, all she said was “let me know when you are serious”.  I told her I was serious and I wanted to start as soon as possible.  

The process was hard but very structured.  She taught me that I had to retrain even my taste buds.  Eating only what was good for  me.  She showed me a 21 day plan for changing my eating habits. And we started to work out together.  I gave 100% dedication to the process ahead. 

I started to see a difference and my husband did too. 

Scott asked me why I was so focused.  He knew it was more than just wanting to loose a few pounds.   I told him of my goal.  I wanted to race walk again and do everything I could to compete in the Olympics. 


No comments:

Post a Comment