Friday, April 19, 2013

Missed Olympics Vol. 8

2008 Bejing Dissapointment

 

Despite all the work and failed dreams there were huge lessons learned and love made stronger.

From 2005-2008 I worked more on race walking than anything I had ever done before.  I was obsessive from what I ate to when I slept. My work outs were on average 3-5 hours each day.

A normal work out was spent with hours walking and then time spent with visualization, positive affirmations,  breathing and relaxation techniques, toning, weight training and pilates.
 

I really loved the self discipline I was gaining.    

Strangely my workouts at altitude in Utah were better than my races, which were closer to sea level and much more humid.   I learned a lot.

I was able to compete at races where my brother, John Nunn was competing, spending precious time with him as adults.

We traveled as a family to most of the races. Scheduling vacations around locations and dates of races I was competing in.    I loved the experience and I learned more about my family in the process.. 


We became “Team Carnagie”! 


Father’s Day of 2008 was my last race of the season and my last chance to qualify for Olympic Trials.  Scott was opening a new restaurant so my sister-in-law, Christy  watched the kids for me. I planned on doing this race on my own.  However, Scott's father,   Nolan, surprised me and was there to support and cheer me on.

Despite all the family support, Scott's encouragement and the miles and miles walked,  I was unsuccessful.   I had done everything I could to qualify for Olympic Trials. 

Beaten down mentally, I was ready for some rest and much needed physical recovery.

After some time off.   I began running.  I thought that if I had a different athletic focus it would recharge me.   


The goal:  a marathon.  However because running and race walking are so different, I realized the running was not good for my joints

After 6 months I stopped the running and returned to race walking with cycling as my cross training.  I guess you could say running is not for me.   I am a race walker through and through.

 2009 was a year we would not want to live again but are thankful for the memories made and hugs shared.  We lost several loved ones. Six(6) members of our family passed away within one years time.  We took the year to spend time with  family and friends. 


Scott's father, Nolan was one of those who left this earth. He will be forever missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment