Friday, April 19, 2013

Missed Olympics Vol.7

Mile after Mile

Scott, Mariah, Russell and Laura - Disneyland '05

 Family Support is Everything

Scott knew I was serious about wanting to do everything possible to fulfill my goal of competing in the Olympics. 

He is the voice of reason and helped me put into perspective what would be required.  We discussed each aspect of how it would happen and how it might effect the family. 

Scott said he would support and encourage me but we needed to be realistic.  He knows me so well.....   Without a coach he said it might be rather difficult but he had seen so many changes in me that he knew I was serious and determined. 

I knew all things would come into place at the right time. 

Within a few weeks (under 11) I was walking about 5-6 miles a day, lifting weights and I now weighed about 113 pounds (total weight loss 27 pounds).

I had learned how to eat correctly, hydrate and rest.   I learned to listen to my body. I had more energy and enthusiasm than I had felt in many years.

I called my brother, John,  and shared by goal with him.  He said he would talk with his coach to see if he would be willing to help me as well.  
John Nunn & Laura Carngie (Brother and Sister)

Coach Enrique Pena said he was willing but the distance between Utah and California would create difficulties.


Our Plan:  Coach would email me my workouts and I would email him my times and reports.   I made several trips to California and I worked with him in person.

I was excited.  I was greatly thankful for the support I was blessed with.  Family and friends began to encourage and support me.  

I loved what I was doing.  I was very disciplined.  I had a strict schedule and I stuck to it.  

Salt Lake, 2006

I spent 2 - 3  hours a day completing my physical workouts.  On occasion I would video my workouts and compare them to the world's best athlete's.  I made notes, worked on drills and spent an additional hour each day on visualizing and mental training.  Twice a day I would repeat my personal positive affirmations.

Some of my favorite work outs were the speed days when I would listen to the Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack and push my self as hard as I physically could to increase turn over of the  rotation of my hips and to lengthen my stride length. 

Amazing feelings happen when you are on a very long workout.  In reality it is your mind against your body.  I was forced to experience so many emotions and physical feelings.  There were countless times when I felt  physically spent, ready to quit. 

I was  able to "erase" one element of my physical existence at a time.  Leaving me with only my mental faculties to control my body, instead of allowing my body to control my mind.   I was more focused.   


Scott, Russell and Mariah were willing to combine my races with some of our family vacations.
California, Florida, Nevada.... I was always blessed to have them by my side cheering me on and sometimes even as my aid support.

Russell and Mariah - Great Support!

I found I enjoyed my time with my family even more because I was gaining a clear mind.  I relished  each moment with them.  This time felt inclusive of love, acceptance and mutual appreciation, instead of feeling all of my existence muddled up and crammed into one singular act.  I truly felt I was on a divine path. 





No comments:

Post a Comment